Sure, we can call anything "Frank Lloyd Wright"

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

Wintergreen Ski Resort

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DavidC

Re: Sure, we can call anything "Frank Lloyd Wright"

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

One thing most faux-FLW houses have in common is the type of entrance he called "a sock in the gut." The subtle entryway seems not to be liked by most homeowners, preferring instead a grand entrance that can be spotted from a block away, especially with double doors! (Is there anyone here whose house has double doors? If so, do you actually use both of them? Or is one used while the other is locked, serving as a wide door jamb?) I convinced Tom Schmidt, formerly of Fallingwater, to take down a tacky sign giving visitors direction to the front door to see if they could find it without help. (It was propped up on the stone pier just outside the entrance.) Later he told me they took it down for a while, but the tourists just kept walking up the driveway, wondering how to get inside.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Rather than making it a game of finding the entrance to any one of his houses, I believe Mr Wright was simply carrying out the dictum that there would be no "front" or "back" to his buildings---that the envelope would be a whole thing, unpunctuated and undefiled. I swear he wrote, once, that if he could have managed to build without interrupting the walls with openings, altogether, he would have done so. Maybe I was reading the Autobiography, fell asleep with it on my lap, and dreamed the sentence in question . . .

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Was your sleep interrupted by a tornado?

jay

Post by jay »

6 Pond Ln, Linwood, NJ 08221
Everytime I see a Bob Marley poster, I'm reminded of a neighbor I once had.
On their living room wall was a framed poster, not of an image, but only 3 words.
These words were in bold white letters, all caps, on a black background.
It read:

"BOB
MARLEY
POSTER"

DRN

Post by DRN »

Annapolis house: Meh....a 1980's contemporary painted and "freshened" per HGTV.
Orlando house: An interesting design on its own merits by the son of a Taliesin Apprentice
Linwood NJ House: I'll call it Wright inspired...I agree on the double doors...great for move-in and move-out days. This is a much better effort at detail and spatial quality than we often see on builder houses.
Delray Beach House: Lick and stick stone on a white "modern" house...oh, now I get... it the fake stone piers make it Wright! Eh, no.

LOL on the "BOB MARLEY POSTER" poster.

modern-eyes

Post by modern-eyes »

modern-eyes

Post by modern-eyes »

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/300- ... 6928_zpid/? I wonder what the inside of this building looked like before the (2 million dollar?) renovation.....Sad.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

See: previous thread re this home and architect.

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

I guess we won't learn which "Frank Lloyd Wright disciple" designed the house . . .

S

DavidC

Post by DavidC »