Photo of FLW age 33

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Lukunor

Photo of FLW age 33

Post by Lukunor »

I'm looking for suggestions of where the photo of "Wright age 33" on steinerag.com came from. Whom to credit or contact for reproduction rights? Site owner doesn't know.
http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%2 ... s.htm#1900[url]

SDR

Re: Photo of FLW age 33

Post by SDR »

In any event, thanks for the collection of early portraits of the architect . . .!

S

Rood

Post by Rood »

Are old pictures copyrighted?
Virtually every original prints of historical photographs published before January 1923 is now in the public domain. This means that anyone possessing an original image from 1922 or before can copy, prepare derivative works, distribute, or display the photograph without needing to obtain permission.

However, generally photos are copyrighted during the life of the photographer ... plus 70 years.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Not much to be done if the owner of the photo is unknown ?

S

Lukunor

Post by Lukunor »

It's frustrating if there's no information on it even from a forum like this. The key variables are 1) when it was created and 2) whether it was ever published. I am doing due diligence in hopes of using it in my book about FLW and Mamah. I think I could claim Fair Use but have yet to discuss it with the publisher, U of Wisconsin Press. It's an unusual photo. Conveys Wright's debonaire, modern appearance at that age, attractions for Mamah when she first met him. There's strong circumstantial evidence for that having been as early as 1900-01.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Having looked at several dozens of photographs of the architect, and having noted that in so many of them the overall appearance of the person differs remarkably, one from another, over the span of his life, I nevertheless find this photo to be unique among them, for the slightly wide-eyed expression on Wright's face, and for the appearance of the face itself. I would call it one of the more unusual---atypical---portraits of the man.

Part of the effect I perceive may have to do with the high contrast this reproduction of the print contains---often the result of copies of copies, resulting in "drop-out" of intermediate tones present in the original. This can result in minimizing or removing facial features like creases and wrinkles, while it emphasizes the remaining dark areas like the pupils and facial hair.

S

Lukunor

Post by Lukunor »

Good points, thanks. I am ambivalent about if. If kept to a small size on the page it might get by despite the low quality. An image that newspapers used around that time is apparently the one he preferred but it seems to be derived from one taken when he was younger.